Sunday, April 4, 2010

Gaming distractions

Well it's a little late this week but here's an update.

So as far as MUDs go I decided to try out two of the larger ones out there. RetroMUD and Achaea. So far Achaea has won me over to at least keeping a regular appearance there. The people are friendly and the world is wonderfully indepth. Sometimes I wish there was more possibility for out of character discussion but the role playing aspect of it keeps the game interesting. RetroMUD has yet to really suck me in. It seems like most of the people on there are just idling or really busy. There is some discussion going on but sadly it seems that the mud has seen some hard times recently. I give everything a fair shot though and I admit that I have only been on RetroMUD for about an hour and a half. So I'll try it again soon and find out if I just caught it at a bad time.

On other gaming fronts I am glad to hear of the arrival of the newest version of Dwarf Fortress! Honestly though the April 1st release date along with website overhaul had me skeptical. But I could afford to be since there still isn't a release out for linux. I suppose that it's also good to note here that I have switched to linux fulltime. It's just more comfortable. Sadly it means I must wait even longer for my sweet sweet dwarf fortress, but in the end I can deal with that.

Moving away from games I am doing freelance programming work once again. If you want some programming work done feel free to email me! Katewissen AT gmail. I'll work with your budget. So that's going fairly. I'm not making as much as I would like, but I'm also free to work on my own projects. Recently I started working on a MUD client. I'm going to try to get some feedback from some devoted mud players as to what features they like to have in a client.

I don't know where this will lead to, but it's always nice to have some little extra projects in your portfolio. And who knows, maybe people will like it. I'd love to follow in Toady's footsteps and develop things for a living on a strictly donation based setup. Provide things for free and rely on the kindness of your fans. Ah well a girl can dream...

No comments: