Sunday, November 2, 2008

I'm back

Well I had completely forgotten about this blog. It's impossible for me to scan anything at the moment so it will be text only if I remember to post. I've been very lazy as of late, I'm not currently at school, nor am I currently working. I'm taking a break. A nice long break. I have to admit it's probably a little late to be thinking that Computer Science is not the best fit for me, but I can't help but look at engineering and figure that its a job that I would not mind doing day in and day out. Granted programming is a great hobby, I just don't know how much I enjoy doing it for someone else.

I could definitely see myself going for a PhD in CS, attempting for a professor position. I could also enjoy working as a sys admin. I don't think I'll switch majors on a whim. I will hope that an internship or two give me a better idea of what I can look forward to with a CS degree. That is assuming I can pay for it.

5 comments:

KoE said...

I kinda tripped over this from your profile on the Dwarf Fortress forums and I feel compelled to post. Partly because I'm in a similar situation (CS major, taking an impromptu break, considering it's not for me, general description). It was just kind of bizarre to see something that was practically going through my head.

The other part would be just to let you know you have a reader. I've had a few endeavors of my own that were made more worthwhile when I knew I wasn't just gibbering to myself. I'm normally not all that keen on blogs and such, but, as above, it was just too uncanny not to comment. But I digress.

Apples said...

Hello, recovering Dwarf Fortress addict here.
I had the same concern with the idea of working for someone else when I was working on my Computer Science degree. Though I changed my major some years ago, I did take a (nice nice oh so nice) semester off just happily programming again during that time knowing that I wasn't programming to do assignment after assignment, but just programming.

I have to admit that much of the reason I'm commenting is because I hope that it persuades you to do more sketches, like the medicine + chair combo with the quietness, shock, and the kicker! haha, I'm laughing with you, trust me.

Unknown said...

Just letting you know that you now have three posting readers.

I'm not in college yet, but my plans right now are to go for computer science. I might have to reconsider as my brother told me that game design and game programming are two different things.

Also, your sketches so far are good. Hope you have something up soon.

Apples said...

To ahmed:
Game design and programming can be different things, but they can be just as same. If you got a creative mind, every new tool and method you learn in programming can be viewed as a new distinct game in of itself. Game design is about using what you have, and doing so with what you have related to programming leads to ideas that can be directly implemented as they were both thought around your creativity and the (programming) language's limitation and possibility.

KoE said...

Huh, looks like I should check back more often.

My original train of thought when selecting involved game design, too. Computer Science not only sounds generally more impressive, but most importantly has a broader applicability than game design and thus leaves other options open in hard times.

'Course, everything Apples said is perfectly true, too, and to my understanding everybody's happier when the whole team knows at least a little about programming.

And, to echo everybody else - I'd like to see more sketches too.